While the Texas State Bobcats were hard at work on the practice fields Tuesday morning, construction crews continued to put up ribbon boards inside Bobcat Stadium. Once the renovation is complete, ribbon boards will wrap the horseshoe. (Edit: You can see a great picture of the ribbon boards from Texas State’s Twitter feed by clicking here)
So how did Texas State look at practice?
- Both quarterbacks (junior Tyler Arndt and senior Shaun Rutherford) threw good balls to their receivers during one-on-one drills against the defensive backs. Arndt definitely improved his arm in short-yardage situations, while Rutherford gets better each day in mid- to long-range throws.
- Tuesday morning featured one of the better Bobcat Drills of fall camp, as every player worked hard to accomplish their respective goals. Redshirt freshman center Matt Freeman handled junior defensive lineman Deshun Williams, while junior defensive end Jordan Norfleet and junior defensive tackle Blake McColloch shed their respective blocks with ease. Junior defensive end Prestin Brown also made a good stop.
- Said it once, and I’ll say it again: junior wide receiver Isaiah Battle might be one of the best blockers on the team.
- Head coach Dennis Franchoine confirmed that true freshman wide receiver Brandon Smith won’t redshirt in 2012. Smith continues to impress and has worked with the first-string offense for a number of plays.
- Tuesday’s Hit of the Day belonged to sophomore cornerback Zach Velliquette. He delivered a crunching blow to junior tight end Colby Goodwin on a passing drill.