The Texas State women’s basketball team will be without Gabriell Mattox next season. Mattox transferred from the program and will play for Oklahoma Baptist.
Monthly Archives: June 2009
- Texas State head baseball coach Ty Harrington wasn’t surprised about Paul Goldschmidt and Ben Theriot’s decision to sign professional contracts.
- “I got the feeling they both wanted to pursue baseball professionally,” Harrington said. “I told both of them that if professional baseball is what they chose to do, I was in full support of them.”
- Goldschmidt signed a deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks, while Theriot inked with the Kansas City Royals.
- Goldschmidt’s departure leaves a huge hole in the Texas State lineup and infield, as he takes away 18 home runs and 88 RBIs from the Bobcats. As of right now, Harrington isn’t sure who will be able to fill his spot in the lineup.
- “Obviously, you hope one of the players we have right now can pick up where Paul left off, but that’s going to be tough,” Harrington said. “You can just go out and replace the highest-awarded player in the history of this program. We’re out looking across the countryside for a replacement, but players of Paul’s caliber just don’t fall into your lap over the summer.”
- Harrington is high on Kyle Kubitza to be the power bat to fill Goldschmidt’s place next season.
- Texas State isn’t as hurt as much by Theriot’s departure, yet it will be a sizable hole. Theriot was a stalwart behind the plate and posted a .982 fielding percentage. The Bobcats still have Jordan Kopycinski returning next season.
- “To replace two of your best players is obviously difficult,” Harrington said of Goldschmidt and Theriot. “You wish you had them for their senior seasons, since it takes seniors to win championships. Yet, it’s a great indicator of your coaching staff and program when you have players picked in the draft.”
Texas State baseball fans, get used to seeing different faces at first base as well as behind the plate next season.
If you think it’s pretty cut-and-dry how college baseball players know if they’ve been picked in the MLB First Year Players Draft, you’d be mistaken.
Kane Holbrooks was selected in the 21st round by the Minnesota Twins in the 2009 MLB First Year Players Draft.
Texas State junior catcher Ben Theriot was drafted by the Kansas City Royals with the 272nd pick in the 2009 MLB First Year Players Draft.
Texas State junior first baseman Paul Goldschmidt was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks with the 246th pick of the 2009 MLB First Year Players Draft. Goldschmidt went to Arizona in the 8th round.
I had a chance to trade a few e-mails with Jim Callis of BaseballAmerica. We discussed the possibility of several Texas State players being selected in the 2009 draft.